June 21, or the summer solstice, we celebrated the official first day of summer! Not only does Summer mean warmer weather, area festivals, and outdoor fun, but the changing of the season is also a great time to make some changes in your own life. Here are a few that might inspire you:
- Revisit goals. Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s not a bad idea to review New Year’s resolutions and check in. Are you still aligned with your goals or have you fallen off the wagon? Take this opportunity to reinvigorate them and to make any necessary changes to fulfill your dreams.
- Reset outside. Grab a book or magazine and lose yourself in it for a few hours outdoors. Soak in a little Vitamin D and breathe in the fresh air.
- Pursue your dream job. The natural world is changing, which makes it a good time to make a change in your own life. Start looking around to see what is available in your field or area of expertise. If you need more experience, training or information, make today the day you set an intention to overcome such obstacles.
- Change is not limited to abstract concepts. Summer is a great time to take inventory of your wardrobe. If you haven’t updated your look in a while and your clothes are beginning to show signs of age, take a fresh look at your wardrobe on the summer solstice. It might be time for some purging. Send the unwanted clothing items to the charity store or give to a friend. Don’t throw away worn clothes or shoes though. Clothing and shoes can last 10-80 years in the landfill. Put them in a bag and recycle them at the Planet Aid box just down the street at the BP station.
- Spend time with Family/Friends. As hectic as our day-to-day lives are, we sometimes forget what matters most. Our family and friends. Take some time to spend with your loved ones. Hit one of Fort Wayne’s many local festivals, walk the trails, or enjoy a picnic.
- Try something new. Is there something that you’ve always wanted to do? Want to try yoga or paddle boarding? How about learning to Salsa? Now’s the perfect time to do it!
These are just a few ideas. There are many ways to celebrate the arrival of summer. It really comes down to personal preference. Here’s to a great summer!