Valetine’s Day….a day to spend with the one(s) you love. Whether you’re planning a day with the spouse and kids, girlfriend or boyfriend, best friend or pet, ditch the same ol’ dinner out and think outside the chocolate box for ways to woo your significant other. Here are a few non-traditional ideas:
- Go ice skating. Dress warmly and get ready to burn some calories! The rink downtown at Headwaters Park is a popular spot. Admission is just $5 and skate rental is $2.
- Get artsy. Wine & Canvas or Painting with a Twist both offer on-site painting classes as well as wine and beer for sale to make it interesting. The Fort Wayne Museum of Art is also a great way to take in some culture.
- Browse a bookstore. Check out titles at Barnes & Noble and locally-owned and operated favorite, Hyde Brothers. Is there anything better than curling up with a good book?
- Cook together. They way to your significant other’s heart is through their stomach. Impress your date with your culinary skills. Be sure to account for any dietary restrictions. And don’t forget to pick up some wine!
- Act like a kid. Crazy Pinz is an indoor entertainment center that will keep children and children at heart busy for hours. They offer everything from arcade games, to laser tag, to bowling. Tokens-N-Tickets is another option to get your indoor fun on.
- Catch a movie. Cinema Center is known for showing artsy, independent films. Or if you’d rather go mainstream, Carmike Jefferson Pointe shows first-run titles. Or, curl up in the apartment with a romantic movie on Netflix.
- Go for a walk. It’s not very often that we get a 50-degree day on Valentine’s Day, get out and hit the trails!
- Spa Day. Whether it’s an evening with your significant other or best girl friends, pamper yourself with a mani-pedi at your favorite spa.
- Scavenger Hunt. Hide small gifts (or treats for your furry friend) around the apartment and send your loved one around to find them. Gift ideas could be flowers, candy, jewelry, homemade coupons, or trinkets.
Whatever you do, I’m sure your date will love it!