Labor Day has come and gone which means Summer is coming to a close too. That means it’s almost time for hoodies, bonfires, and pumpkin spice everything. But before we officially welcome Autumn on September 22nd, there’s still time to enjoy the final warm days left of the season. Here are a few suggestions:
- Hit the trails. With more than 90 miles of trails waiting to be discovered, there’s no excuse to sit inside… there will be plenty of time to do that when the weather turns cold! Walk, run or bike—whatever your preference.
- Nothing says summer like an ice cream cone. There are a few options in town sure to please. Head over to Carousel on East State Blvd. for a scoop (or two). They also have a sister location, West Central MicroCreamery & Cafe, in downtown Fort Wayne in Sheridan Court Apartments. Ask about their vegan flavor of the day — yes, trust me! There’s also Cold Stone Creamery in Jefferson Pointe, located just a few minutes from Poplar Ridge.
- Make a day of the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. This award-winning zoo is fun for children and adults alike. They have a wide variety of exhibits–from lions to stingrays. The Sky Safari Ride provides a one-of-a-kind view of the zoo campus. Admission is $14 for adults. Hours are 9 to 5 p.m. from Sept. 6-Oct. 9.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch. Both Rockhill Park and Swinney Park are idyllic places for enjoying a mid-afternoon meal and just right around the corner from Poplar Ridge Apartments. Bring your camera to take photos of the beautiful flowers.
- Dine al fresco at one of the many local restaurants in Fort Wayne!
- Play a game of cornhole or frisbee
- Visit the outdoor farmer’s market on Barr Street. Nothing says Summer like fresh fruits and veggies!
- Take a walk on the beach. There are many within a short drive from Fort Wayne including Winona Lake. While you’re there, stop by and rent a bike from Trailhouse Village Bicycles to explore the town and trails!
- Take your dog out for a long walk and soak in the warm weather. You’ll miss it when it’s gone!
Here’s to living up the final days of summer!