Sweet, sweet independence at last. Getting out of your parent’s basement? Saying “adios” to that old ball and chain — your mortgage?
Apartment life is calling and that’s an exciting thing. But getting prepared to make the move can be a daunting task. Do I have what I need to live on my own?
You will! But take the time to get organized. It will save you time and valuable dollars.
Following some expert advice will help you gather those first apartment essentials effortlessly.
Let the Budget Be Your Guide
Your monthly rent is most likely the largest expense you will have. It should not exceed 30% of your monthly earnings.
Set yourself up for success by creating a detailed plan of costs. New apartment renters should familiarize themselves with the new expenses they’ll be facing. A household budgeting worksheet will help you do this.
First Things…First Apartment Essentials
We all have dreams of living in a new apartment straight out of Architectural Digest. But our budgets don’t always support the dream. When making a shopping list focus on these items first:
- Toilet paper
- Toilet brush
- Shower curtain (make sure you don’t have a glass shower door;)
Start with what’s most important and add more luxurious items as your budget allows.
- Glasses (a nice tumbler is even great for wine)
- A basic set of cookware
- A good, sharp knife
- Plastic containers for leftovers (you might be eating in for a while)
- Dish Towels
There are lots of beautiful shiny gadgets that catch our eye. A good rule would be: only buy something if you see yourself using it weekly. That means no pasta machine for now.
- Bedside table (or literally anything to put a glass of water on)
- A mattress (don’t fret if you can’t quite afford a bed frame, think minimal chic)
- Sheets and bedding
Keeping things simple here will help to create a peaceful space and protect your budget.
The general cost of furniture makes it a bit scary to buy. Follow these furniture buying tips for advice on how to avoid the wrong purchase.
The Look of Luxury
Now that we’ve covered the first apartment essentials we can start on the fun stuff. Extra touches here and there will help to make your new apartment feel like a luxury home.
- Try picking a fresh coat of paint that makes the place your own.
- Indulge in linens with higher thread counts.
- A great rug goes a long way.
- Don’t forget to show the walls some love. A show-stopping piece of art can make an apartment feel glamorous.
Make Yourself a Home
Purchasing first apartment essentials can be a pricey process. But with a bit of effort, it can be a very enjoyable process too.
Contact Poplar Ridge Apartments when you are ready to join the club. We’re here to support you in your next big move!